Service Status - Check out the Status Dashboard for service availability information.

user with sudden posting difficulty

c.daquilac.daquila Member
edited December 2011 in Questions
Hello,

A user (name: common sense answer) on the Car Talk board has sent me a couple of e-mails. What is curious is that he survived the SSO migration without a problem, but this is his new report. Thank you for your thoughts:

I was participating in the community discussions earlier today and then when I tried a little later I was apparently not logged in anymore.

I am usually automatically logged in. Where there is usually a dialog box there was only an "add coment" button.

Clicking it takes me to "account information"

I tried logging in, but couldn't. I tried resetting my password, but couldn't. [NOTE: user clarified he requested 2 password reset e-mails, which he received, but he could not use the new password to get in]

I just go back to the "add comment" and then back to "account information".

I have made attempts at different times today, but am getting nowhere.

I am not computer literate and reach a frustration point easily with these things. I have no choice but to give up.

P.S. There's a little yellow box on the "account information" page, while all of this is not happening, that reads "Welcome common sense answer (logout)"

I interpret that to ordinarily mean that I am logged in , however I am not recognized as such.

[NOTE: I asked user to clear cache/cookies in IE, close browser, and return, and this was his reply]

Still, when I click "add comment, I'm taken to "account information" page. There is no place there to log in as most of the page is blank. There's a little yellow box on the "account information" page, while all of this is not happening, that reads "Welcome common sense answer (logout)"

I interpret that to ordinarily mean that I am logged in , however I am not recognized as such.

Does this sound right ?

Comments

• It looks like there is still a case in your system where you aren't redirecting back to our entry/land page which tells our system to double check the SSO again. I can't personally figure out how to get your system to trap me on your account management page, but it seems to be doing so for this user.

I recommend asking the user to go to www.cartalk.com, sign in, and then click on the Community menu item. This will tell Vanilla to re-check the SSO.
  • When I got trapped in the account mgmt page earlier in the weekend (without any prior difficulty) I followed your instructions and they worked for me. (Thank you!)

However, the user (common sense answer) says it didn't work for him. Also, the user bscar/bscar2 has been unable to remain logged in in Firefox, but had been using IE9. He e-mailed me yesterday to say that the problems he previously saw in FF are now arising in IE9.

This is where he summarized his difficulty:
    http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/comment/2913853#Comment_2913853

Does it matter that I see he has two accounts under the same e-mail address?
  • It could be that he has the two accounts with different passwords. I recommend changing one of the emails in the dashboard. What you can do is put a '+2' right before the '@' sign so that 'todd@domain.com' would become 'todd+2@domain.com'.
  • @Todd, it appears that your (earlier) suggestion for the user "common sense answer" wasn't successful. Do you have any other thoughts on how he can regain access to his account?
  • Have you fixed your entry/land redirect on your end? I posted that I saw the problem, but haven't whether or not you have solved that problem on the cartalk side.
This discussion has been closed.