How do I setup a custom domain or subdomain?
- Log in to the domain name registrar where your domain is hosted (ex. GoDaddy, Rackspace, etc.)
- In your Admin control panel, create a DNS record for your domain so that it points at our servers. You have two choices here:
- If you want to use a subdomain (forum.joeswebsite.com) create a CName record for your domain that points to your Vanilla address: joesforum.vanillaforums.com
- If you want to use a top level domain (joesforum.com) create an A Record for your domain, using your forum’s IP address.
- Back in your Vanilla Dashboard, you’ll notice a Custom Domain menu under the Appearance category. You can alternatively follow directions for setting up your custom domain here. Or, if you’ve already followed instructions to configure your custom domain, you can confirm that it’s configured properly here.
To look up your forum’s IP address:
- Visit http://network-tools.com/
- Choose “Lookup” from the list of radio buttons
- Enter your forum name (joesforum.vanillaforums.com) in the long box, select “Go”
- Look further down the page, it will list your IP address